IDEAS???????? 0
Total Votes: 0
You must be a logged-in member to vote
WILL IT WORK -HELP- I THINK SO! 
Posted: 04 January 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-03

hey i m building a 29 ford coupe old school no fenders flathead v8 etc. i built a 48 ford banjo rear diff!  PRELOADED THE THE DUAL ROLLER BEARINGS ,,WHEN I INSTHALLED THE TORINTING ‘ SUPPORT’ BEARING AT THE END OF THE PINION THE INTERFERINCE INCREASED ---- OLD STUFF!--- NEW B.S. PARTS, NOT MADE IN AMERICA:!!  TO HELP BRAKE IN , I PLANE TO GET THE REAR TIRES OFF THE GROUND, FILL THE DIFF WITH MMO. AND JUST LET IT IDEL TO HELP BREAK IN - IN 1RST GEAR !!!!  FOR A GOODLEY AMOUNT OF TIME!  I REMBER THE OLD STATMENT ON THE OLD TIN MMO CAN’S SAID THAT MMO. POLISHIES THE INTERNAL PART’S, AND HAS A HIGHER SHEER STRENGTH,THEN REGULAR OIL!? IS THAT STILL TRUE?  I WILL THENDRAIN AND FILL WITH THE PROPER GEAR OIL!  WHAT DO YOU THINK!!??  THANK YOU!

Posted: 05 January 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable about this than I will respond. I really don’t see a problem with this since you will have minimal load on the rear end. I really don’t know if their is any real advantage to it though. Good luck, sounds like a great project.

Posted: 07 January 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2010-11-06

Never heard of a differential needing a break-in oil.

Posted: 08 January 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15

I did a little research on rebuilding 1939-1948 Ford Banjo differentials. The rule of thumb with these rear end components, is to use the thickest gear lubes that are available. MMO has sheer strength but not enough viscosity to stay behind the differential seals.  I do not recommend MMO for the break in of this rebuilt Ford differential (It will leak out and may swell seals).  When this rear end component was designed in the late 1930’s, anti-wear ingredients and sheer stability additives for gear lubes were not fully developed yet. These gear configurations relied on the sheer strength of high viscosity oils to minimize ring and gear wear. Today’s gear lube use extreme pressure additives and other anti-wear additives that withstand sheer on metal to metal high pressure points.  Sulfur additives, synthetic base oils and VI improvers are typically used in today’s gear lubes.  I would suggest using with a fully formulated 90-140 wt gear oil to break in this differential.  If you can find a 140 SUS gear oil, I would use this. Many of the Hot Rodder’s on line also mention blending today’s gear oils with STP oil additive for use in these Banjo rear ends.  Hope this helps and good luck with the project!