ATF for power steering
Posted: 23 September 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-07-29

my car calls for ATF+4 for power steering fluid , can i replace some with mmo?  2004 chrysler concorde

Signature 

Mike L

Posted: 24 September 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15

I would not recommend using MMO in your Chrysler’s power steering fluid reservoir.  The trans fluid you are using has a tight viscosity range and MMO would alter that viscosity index.  If you need to add fluid, stick to the recommended fluid.  Do you have a system leak?  Check around the pump seals and high pressures lines for any signs of leakage.

Posted: 24 September 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-29
MMO - 24 September 2012 02:14 PM

I would not recommend using MMO in your Chrysler’s power steering fluid reservoir.  The trans fluid you are using has a tight viscosity range and MMO would alter that viscosity index.  If you need to add fluid, stick to the recommended fluid.  Do you have a system leak?  Check around the pump seals and high pressures lines for any signs of leakage.

i dont have any leaks but when cold and i start out in the morning for the first 2 minutes the power steering feels like a manual steering hard to turn slightly than it eases up. its not real hard to turn just a liitle bit harder . what can i do to help it

Signature 

Mike L

Posted: 24 September 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15

With the car running, turn the steering wheel hard to the left and then hard to the right until it squeals.  This will release any air pockets that may be in the line.  This would only happen if the fluid was ever low.  Secondly, check at start up to see that the serpentine belt on the pump pulley is not slipping at start up.  If it is, change the belt.  Typically it’s loss of power steering fluid pressure that causes the steering wheel to be hard to turn.  Hope this helps!

Posted: 24 September 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-29
MMO - 24 September 2012 08:28 PM

With the car running, turn the steering wheel hard to the left and then hard to the right until it squeals.  This will release any air pockets that may be in the line.  This would only happen if the fluid was ever low.  Secondly, check at start up to see that the serpentine belt on the pump pulley is not slipping at start up.  If it is, change the belt.  Typically it’s loss of power steering fluid pressure that causes the steering wheel to be hard to turn.  Hope this helps!

thanks i will try it, i bought the car used with 54000 on it from the dealer. dont have any info on previous maintenance records

Signature 

Mike L