MMO as a fuel stabilizer? 
Posted: 01 May 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-04-17

My question is this, is MMO considered or design to be a long term fuel stabilizer?  I do not see any such labeling or claims on this sight and yet I have been using it as such for many years.  In my tractor collection, many have had the same fuel for well over five years and they still fire right up when I make the rounds every four months.  I do place Saran Wrap over the fuel caps held with a rubber band.

I have been using MMO for 20 odd years.  I use it my Audi A4 quattro Sport mixing 16 oz. in a 4.5 qt. sump.  I bought the car new in 2005, had the computer reprogrammed to a stage one level (250 hp/275 tq) in the 2.0 turbo and is extremely strong at highway speeds but not quick from a stop light as it revs out to quick requiring 3 shifts to 60 mph.  Anyway, I have used MMO since the first oil change at 5k and it now has 150k of aggressive performance driving.  The engine runs better than ever and has yet to produce so much as an oil weep, common on the rear cam seals.

I also collect garden tractors with a stable of 35 or so machines.  I have been using MMO as a stabilizer as well as general upper cylinder maintainance as most of my units are 70’s era flathead’s.  I also add 2 oz. per quart to the Mobile One 0w40 that is used exclusively in every engine and I have yet to lose an engine.  I have a 1989 WheelHorse 212-H with the trusty Briggs I/C 28 cubic inch that mows one field of three each day which accumulates 20 hrs a week/ 500 hrs annually on the accurate hour meter and she just clicked over to 5,000 hours last week. Incredible.  I also have a WheelHorse D-180 with the solid cast iron K-482 opposed twin Kohler with 3800 hrs thought that is not unusual for that engine, they frequently see 10k hours in bobcats, gensets and other industrial apps.

Can you tell I am a believer:). A couple of years ago I was involved in a long thread over at BITOG debating MMO, RX and Seafoam.  I decided to test the product in the real world.  I had two WheelHorse tractors, a 78 C-121 and a 78 C-161, which I had not used since purchasing.  I pulled the heads prior to the test and both had about equally heavy carbon buildup.  I ran the Seafoam per the instructions, dump into carb until engine nearly stalls and repeat 10 or so times and then a good dose to kill the engine.  Then I let it set for 30 minutes and started it and ran it up and down until it cleared up.  I then mixed the rest of the bottle in the full three gallon fuel tank and repeated so it was run for about 8 hrs.  The other machine good MMO at 3 oz. per gallon also for two tanks.  Removal of the Seafoam head was disturbing, the carbon was still very hard/crusty and it created s very hard taffy like goo all over the combustion chamber, piston and exhaust valve.  The MMO engine produced much better results, the carbon was still there yet it was soft and oily and I was able to wipe 90 percent of the carbon off with a rag and the rest came of with a wire brush on a bench grinder.  I was sold, but of course the forum Seafoam die hards dismissed it as fraudulent, not controlled testing and so on.  But I knew what I saw, controlled or not.

Anyway, back to the original question, is MMO considered a fuel stabilizer?

Posted: 02 May 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13

Rich Kelly, the original technical engineer on here had once posted that MMO was not designed to be a fuel stabilizer and that it was his advice to keep using what ever fuel stabilizer that has worked for you in the past.

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-04-17

Well thats interesting...so I should not expect mmo to preserve fuel and rather, I should use something such as Stabil?

Posted: 03 May 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13

Here’s what Rich said.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/20/

‹‹ MMO & Lawn Mower...      seals ››