MMO & Lawn Mower…
Posted: 20 April 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-07-12

Is it safe to use MMO in my lawn mower? I bought a brand new Husqvarna rotary 149cc Kohlor (gas) engine mower. Only used it once, this weekend. Anyone know if I can use MMO in this mower?

Posted: 21 April 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2010-11-06
ebonkole - 20 April 2012 06:38 PM

Is it safe to use MMO in my lawn mower?

You can use it in the gas without issue.  Were you thinking of using it in the oil as well?

Posted: 23 April 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-12

Yes, I want to use it with the oil also. Is that safe,too?

Posted: 23 April 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2008-12-13

It’s perfectly safe as long as you don’t exceed the maximum ratio.

Posted: 24 April 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-12

What is the ratio of oil to MMO?

Posted: 24 April 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2009-04-24
ebonkole - 24 April 2012 05:43 AM

What is the ratio of oil to MMO?

The Ratio is 10% to 25%

Since this is a new engine I would probably stick with the 10% Ratio, meaning if your engine holds 30 ounces of oil, you would use 3 ounces of MMO. So, that would be 27 ounces of oil and 3 ounces of MMO.

Posted: 24 April 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-12

Thanks alot. I appreciate all the replies!

Posted: 24 April 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2009-04-24
ebonkole - 24 April 2012 05:29 PM
Thanks alot. I appreciate all the replies![/quot

No problem, we are here to help.

I have been using MMO in my fuel on all of my small engine equipment, I have noticed that my spark plugs stay clean and the use of MMO in the fuel should keep your piston and combustion chamber clean. These small engine carbs do not like Ethanol, I talked with a Lawn Mower Mechanic and he is replacing about 2 carburetors a week, seems that the Ethanol messes up the seals in the carburetor, the use of MMO should keep your carburetor clean, it might be a good idea to use a fuel system cleaner once a year. If you really care about this mower it might also be wise to change the fuel filter once a year. I have also noticed that with MMO in the fuel that all of my small engines start easier. Remember the correct dose of MMO in the fuel is 4 ounces to 10 gallons, so if you have a gas can you will have to mix accordingly, a 5 gallon can would be 2 ounces of MMO, or you can do what I do with my Dad’s Cub Cadet tractor that hold about 2.5 gallons of gasoline, I just pour a little bit of MMO each time I put in the 2.5 gallons of gasoline.

When you use MMO in your oil make sure you keep an eye on the oil level, it is not uncommon for the oil level to go down a tad bit, and since this is a brand new engine you do not need 20% to 25% MMO in your oil, I do not see a benefit with that much MMO, 10% will be perfect. I also run MMO in the oil on my Dad’s Cub Cadet Tractor that has a 20 Horsepower Kohler Engine. He has 300 Hours on it, I just replaced his Valve Cover Gasket because it was leaking, when I had the Valve Cover off the inside of the engine was spotless, it looked like a brand new engine. I also have been using MMO in the fuel and oil since we 1st got his machine.

I feel that MMO in the fuel and oil will keep the rings clean, which means less blowby and a more efficient running engine, and with the rings clean this means less junk getting into the oil and causing deposits in your engine.

You can also use MMO in your 2 Cycle oil mix, I have a 1 gallon container of 2-Cycle Fuel and each time I make a mix I add about an ounce and this should keep everything clean. If you are not going to run this machine in the winter time either run the gas out or use some Stabil, old gas will gum up the carburetor, some guys have a fuel shut off near the gas tank, they go ahead and run the engine and then shut the fuel valve and then let the carburetor run dry. I have a small mower that has a Briggs Engine and at the end of the season I just run the gas out, I am the one with a mower running in December out on the driveway, but come spring time my mower always starts. You can also take the spark plug out at the end of the season and pour a bit of MMO in the spark plug hole and with the spark plug off start the engine real quick to get the MMO to splash around on the rings, this will keep the rings from sticking or rusting. Good Luck with your new mower.