COLD ENGINE VALVE TAP
Posted: 21 October 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-12

COLD ENGINE VALVE TAP WENT AWAY!
I have a 1999 Chevy with a 2.2 engine 130,000 mi, that does not burn oil.
The engine had a valve tap when cold. I changed the oil and added Marvel Mystery Oil. 
Most of it to the oil, and a few ounces to the gas tank.
The valve tap went away after about 500 miles! At 700 miles, I had the oil changed again.
As winter set in, the valve tap, if and when it tapped… was much quieter.
Most often, there was no hydraulic lifter noise at all, even at 20 degree temperatures!
My mechanic explained how a lifter noise can come and go.
He said there are two positions the crankshaft can stop in.
When an odd cylinder comes to the compression stroke, or when an even numbered cylinder does.
When the engine spends all night compressing a particular lifter it can cause a valve tap in the morning.
If you search on the web the ingredients of MMO are not that mysterious.
But there’s no point in trying to figure out the proportions, when the price is right… and the product is proven…

This is the most logical use of this product, and it can get results. No additive is a miracle.

I wrote this as a testimonial when I first registered here. Now at 156,000 miles the lifter is still quiet.
(It wasn’t easy to get the photo down to 600 x 800 but I managed with free Picasa,
and moved it to the desktop so I could find it and upload it.)

Signature 

Bruce

Posted: 29 October 2011 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-04-22

Yea it sure does work!  My family has been using it for decades.  It gets flamed on some sites, typically by the clueless who’ve never used it.

AD

Posted: 06 November 2011 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-01-24
ADFD1 - 29 October 2011 01:59 PM

Yea it sure does work!  My family has been using it for decades.  It gets flamed on some sites, typically by the clueless who’ve never used it.

AD

MMO works for me,,dont worry about the flamers, they are in the minority,,300 million in the US and even if 100 in here say MMO is no good, that is so few people it isnt worth the keyboard time to mention.  MMO was used frequently in
ww2 for our tanks and planes. Lots of data on that.  amen
 Signature 

cool smileIf u cant be on time, be early. cool smile

Posted: 19 July 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-14
Bruce New York City - 21 October 2011 03:21 PM

My mechanic explained how a lifter noise can come and go.
He said there are two positions the crankshaft can stop in.
When an odd cylinder comes to the compression stroke, or when an even numbered cylinder does.
When the engine spends all night compressing a particular lifter it can cause a valve tap in the morning.

Your “mechanic"needs to study engines better.A crankshaft never stops at ANY position! It keeps rotating all the time.The piston and rod are the ones that stop for a very brief time.And the lifter noise is due to some other cause,not because the piston “stops”, or else all engines would be ticking all the time,almost any model and almost any brad.MMO just cleaned and/or lubricated that one lifter to help it stop.

Posted: 22 July 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13
sc2dave - 19 July 2012 09:47 PM

A crankshaft never stops at ANY position! It keeps rotating all the time.The piston and rod are the ones that stop for a very brief time.

I’m not sure that you read Bruce’s post correctly. Just like Bruce’s car, my car’s crankshaft stops every time I turn the car off. Which is what he is referring to. It sitting over night compressing a lifter can make it stick, when dirty and gummy, and give you the clicking noise.

Posted: 22 July 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-14

My mistake!! i see what he meant.