1 of 2
First time user of MMO. 
Posted: 18 March 2011 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-17

Hello everyone. I am new to site and MMO. In my younger days, I watched my grandfather put MMO in just about everything he could put it in.

I need some advise. I recently started hearing a lifter noise when I start my truck in the mornings. It will last 5 to 15 seconds and then stop.

First off the truck:
2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Xtra cab. 2.7L 4 cyl. (holds 4.5 qt. of oil) I think the noise in the lifter is from sludge buildup.
I added 32oz of Lucas Oil treatment and 3.5 qt. of Castrol GTX Superior Sludge Protection, and a new filter.

If I do have buildup, is MMO the answer?

I need some tips.
Should I remove the oil pan, and clean the sludge out? Could my oil pump getting weak, or could my pickup tube be block by sludge?

If I were to put MMO in my oil now, how much do I add?
Do I need to drain some of the oil?
How often do I need to change the oil & filter, to aid in the removal of the sludge.
I under-sand that MMO works over time, and it can only make my engine cleaner, I just need some pointers.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or thoughts?

Maybe someone has had the same experience and can tell me how it went.

Thanks for your time,

Signature 

Bass1204

A bad day of fishing better than a good day of work!!!

Posted: 18 March 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2008-12-13

Drain out 20% of your oil and add back that much with MMO. Run that until your next oil change and see how the lifter noise goes.

Posted: 18 March 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2010-11-06

I don’t believe your engine is one that is considered sludge prone.  In the short term I would change the PCV valve.  If your lifters are adjustable it may be that they are simply out of adjustment.  How many miles are on the vehicle?

Since you already have a full quart of another additive in the sump I would wait until your next oil change before trying MMO.  Did this noise occur prior to using this oil additive?

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-17

I will take a look at the PCV, first thing in the morning, thanks. My truck has 145,000 mi. Yes, the noise started prior to change, about a mounth & a half ago. Could my oil pump be getting weak?

Signature 

Bass1204

A bad day of fishing better than a good day of work!!!

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-01-18

First let me say, I’ll probably be repeating what’s already been said wink But it’s just another view point.

Bass1204 - 18 March 2011 12:48 AM

I need some advise. I recently started hearing a lifter noise when I start my truck in the mornings. It will last 5 to 15 seconds and then stop.

I’ve heard mutiple reasons for this.

One side will tell you it’s because your oil is “too thick” and so that noise you are hearing is the metal-to-metal contact, until the oil “gets to where it’s supposed to go”....

Then you got the other side of the fence that will tell you, oh just ignore it, put a heavier weight oil in there and it’ll go away.

First off the truck:
2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Xtra cab. 2.7L 4 cyl. (holds 4.5 qt. of oil) I think the noise in the lifter is from sludge buildup.
I added 32oz of Lucas Oil treatment and 3.5 qt. of Castrol GTX Superior Sludge Protection, and a new filter.

How has maintenance been on the truck?  Are you the only/first owner?  Or was it previously cared for by someone else?  Could be dirty/carbon/sludge built up, but honestly, you won’t know unless you go taking the valve cover off raspberry

That being said, I’d gather it could be build up of carbon/debris/junk.....(I haven’t said, but I’m on the “first” side of the fence lol...go by what the manual calls for, don’t ignore the noise by adding a heavier weight oil.)

When did you do this past oil change?  Anyways, between the Lucas and the 3.5 qts of GTX - I personally would wait 3k miles or whenever your next desired OCI is.....in fact I’m surprised you didn’t come asking “before” doing the oil change? smile But yea, I’d hate to see “good oil” going to waste.  Secondly, I haven’t heard much “good” regarding the Lucas Oil Stabilizer.....check Bob Is the Oil Guy Forums, many of the “chemists” there seem to think it’s primarily a “viscosity” (thickness) improver, with very little “additive” (be it solvent, or whatever....).  Lucas may be good for the old tractor, to keep the engine together and spinning right, but I’d keep it away from the modern vehicles....then again, the Lucas fans probably say the same about MMO, so just take it all with a grain of salt raspberry

If I do have buildup, is MMO the answer?

Long story short?  Depends who you ask smile But if you read through these forums, you will find many people that have “fixed” noisy/dirty engines, injectors, etc. with Marvel Mystery Oil; personally, I am a believe, and so I would answer your question with a yes.....but that’s just me.  MMO is an oil based additive, with a light solvent; so it works “slowly” to clean up debris and possible sludge in your engine, and then suspend the debris within the motor oil.  Which is the reason why Marvel only recommends keeping it in the engine for ~3k miles at a time.  You can use it back-to-back(-to back even....) for many oil changes, but they don’t recommend keeping it in the crankcase for long intervals.  Put it in, let it do it’s job to re-liquify the crud, and then drain it out smile Then if you want, add some more next OCI.....

I need some tips.
Should I remove the oil pan, and clean the sludge out? Could my oil pump getting weak, or could my pickup tube be block by sludge?

That’s totally up to you.  Do you really think it’s that sludged up?  Are you getting a low oil pressure light or warning while driving?  If you are not (and the light is working, lol....and not burned out), then I doubt the pick up tube is blocked....if you want to drop the pan and clean it up manually (some like to use B-12 CHEMTOOL or other parts cleaner.....to help dissolve the build up.....); but I’d errr on the side of manually cleaning, and just let the MMO gently, and slowly clean up the possible debris....

If I were to put MMO in my oil now, how much do I add?

for a 4.5 qt crankcase, I wouldn’t add more than a PINT (the smaller bottle, if your local parts store or WM has it.....).  Remember, more is not always better.  Sure, MMO is indeed an “oil” but it’s a very light weight oil, and the engine can’t run reliably on straight MMO, so you don’t want to go more than 25% concentration of MMO to oil.....

Do I need to drain some of the oil?

That’s up to you....since you recently put this oil in there, I’d run the oil for it’s intended oil change interval, then add the MMO next oil change.....now if you are extremely scared that the engine is that sludged up, then by all means, drain out a quart or so, then add MMO as the make-up oil.  What I’ve heard some people do, is crank up the car, and let it warm up good so the oil gets warm, then cut off the engine, and with some mechanix gloves on, take the oil filter off, dump out the oil in the oil filter (into a proper disposal container ofc...), then start the engine back up, to let the oil recirculate back into the filter for a couple minutes, then cut the engine off, and empty the filter out again.  Depending on the size of the filter, you should be at a good level now, to add the MMO without over-filling the crankcase.....and like I said, I would only add 1/2 quart, or a “pint” - whatever you prefer.  The pint bottles are cheaper, but you get more for your money if you buy by the quart or gallon raspberry So whatever you prefer.....I like the convenience of the pint bottles though....

How often do I need to change the oil & filter, to aid in the removal of the sludge.

All depends.....if you really think the vehicle is that sludged up, maybe change the filter out at 1.5k miles - about half way thru your 3k mile OCI...just to be on the safe side.

I under-sand that MMO works over time, and it can only make my engine cleaner, I just need some pointers.

yeap, that’s what I like about MMO, it’s a slow, gentle engine cleaner, not like the high-solvent “5 minute flushes” that you’ll find in the parts store.

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-06
Bass1204 - 19 March 2011 03:30 AM

I will take a look at the PCV, first thing in the morning, thanks. My truck has 145,000 mi. Yes, the noise started prior to change, about a mounth & a half ago. Could my oil pump be getting weak?

I’m not familiar with the Lucas product you are using but my hunch is that it has made the oil thicker overall.  MMO would have the opposite effect.  MMO mixed in with the oil would allow that oil to reach your lifters quicker and flow better.  That’s a plus. 

If your lifters are adjustable I would expect a proper adjustment might solve your clatter problem.

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-18

BTW, it appears your engine uses the 3614 filter......you didn’t mention which filter you are using.....but my car uses that same filter smile It’s one of the small-ish filters...perhaps just do the “oil filter oil dump” one time, and then see how the oil level reads on the stick before doing it a second time....Most dipsticks/tubes are engineered to show up to 2 quarts in the sump....it’s generally not until you hit that “Add Oil” line, that you need to add a full qt, in my experience, but all cars may vary.

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-06
tommygunn - 19 March 2011 03:51 AM

BTW, it appears your engine uses the 3614 filter......

A slightly longer version of that would be the 3600, usually sold at the same price. 

MMO has in the past said that you can use other additives while using MMO.  Keep in mind that in TOTAL your additives should not comprise more than 20-25% of the volume of oil you are using.

Posted: 19 March 2011 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
SparkPlug - 18 March 2011 04:42 PM

Since you already have a full quart of another additive in the sump I would wait until your next oil change before trying MMO. 

I agree with the above. I overlooked that you had added the Lucas.

Posted: 19 March 2011 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2009-04-23

If you do pull the valve cover off, check your rocker arms for cracks, bent push rods. These are also contributors to lifter noise.

Signature 

2000 f-350 SD CC 7.3 Liter diesel, Lots of Mods.
1999 durango 5.2 Liter, all stock

Posted: 02 April 2011 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-05-12

I personally wouldn’t use Lucas. Not because I think it’s a bad product, but what it does to your Viscosity. I remember seeing a UOA in a Diesel w/ 15w40 and 20% Lucas. The oil was thicker than a 90W Gear Oil!!!!!

Signature 

2010 Ford Fusion- 17K miles.
2003 Toyota Corolla- 59K miles.
Briggs & Stratton 6.25HP push mower.

Posted: 02 May 2011 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2010-12-20

ok ditch the lucas. change the oil and use a good cleaning synthetic like pennzoil ultra or castrol egde. add i qt MMO and see if that cleans it up. toyotas are pretty well known for sludge problems and lucas is just going to make it worse. btw you might wanna step up to the next grade like 40 from a 30 with MMO because it thins the oil a bit. for even more good info on MMO and sludge visit bobs, its very highly regarded there. heres a link

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=5&page=1

Posted: 02 May 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
electrolover - 02 May 2011 04:29 PM

ok ditch the lucas. change the oil and use a good cleaning synthetic like pennzoil ultra or castrol egde. add i qt MMO and see if that cleans it up.

I wouldn’t upset the additive package of a good synthetic oil by adding MMO to it from the start. Especially if you are going to run it at extended intervals. Use regular dino oil with MMO as a clean-out and then switch to a good synthetic. Or, as I do, add the MMO with about 3000 miles left before an oil change when running extended intervals.

Posted: 03 May 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-18

Personally, I’d just use the cheapest store brand oil you can find, with the 1 qt of MMO.....after seeing many good UOAs of SuperTech oil, that’s one of my fav motor oils.  Will work great for a good “clean up” and “rinse” routine with the MMO.  Based on the “color” of the oil at the next drain interval (give it a good 3k/3month OCI), I’d probably give the MMO+conventional another run for 3-4k - then switch over to a good quality synthetic of your choosing (Mobil1, Royal Purple, Redline, etc...)

Posted: 04 May 2011 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
tommygunn - 03 May 2011 06:48 PM

Personally, I’d just use the cheapest store brand oil you can find, with the 1 qt of MMO.....after seeing many good UOAs of SuperTech oil, that’s one of my fav motor oils.  Will work great for a good “clean up” and “rinse” routine with the MMO.  Based on the “color” of the oil at the next drain interval (give it a good 3k/3month OCI), I’d probably give the MMO+conventional another run for 3-4k - then switch over to a good quality synthetic of your choosing (Mobil1, Royal Purple, Redline, etc...)

Glad you agree.

Posted: 10 May 2011 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2010-12-20
Orangedotfever - 02 May 2011 04:50 PM

electrolover - 02 May 2011 04:29 PM
ok ditch the lucas. change the oil and use a good cleaning synthetic like pennzoil ultra or castrol egde. add i qt MMO and see if that cleans it up.

I wouldn’t upset the additive package of a good synthetic oil by adding MMO to it from the start. Especially if you are going to run it at extended intervals. Use regular dino oil with MMO as a clean-out and then switch to a good synthetic. Or, as I do, add the MMO with about 3000 miles left before an oil change when running extended intervals.

i have good experience with Pennzoil Platinum and MMO. i dont know about everyone else but i never run over 3k when im trying to clean an engine. just becuase a person is using a syn doesnt mean hes going extended drains. as a matter of fact i use them all the time with 3k ocis. at less than $25 for a jug of syn at walmart why would you not use it? a good cleaning syn will help you accomplish your cleaning goals. especially with MMO added.

1 of 2