crazy Youtube videos of people sucking MMO into the intakes threw the Vacuum lines ?? 
Posted: 04 January 2011 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-01

Seems kinda Crazy to me people on youtube taking videos of them suckin MMO into the intake through a selected vaccum line then let it sit and fire it up for a smoke show.

Really I mean does it do anything worth while ?

I’ve seen the same videos with people using seafoam for this......

Posted: 05 January 2011 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2010-09-29

I’ve seen this too.  I guess, in a way it’s not much difference from adding a teaspoon or so to each spark plug hole (cylinder) and then waiting a specified amount of time and then cranking over the engine.....?

To me though, MMO seems too “thick” to be used in this manner.......at least in this same application as Seafoam is typically used.  But Seafoam is a lot thinner than MMO....well, at least I think so.....it pours almost like water....but no idea of the actual “pour point” or “viscosity” of Seafoam vs. MMO actually raspberry I’ll let someone else dig that data up wink

Posted: 05 January 2011 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15

MMO contains a base oil and solvents to reduce varnish.  Pulling MMO directly into the intake does have a benefit.  The deposit control additives will help clean the fuel injectors.  Many professional injector cleaners are used the same way.  As for the smoke show, this is created by the excess MMO.  As long as this is done as a one time shot, the cylinders will clear the MMO quickly.  However, doing this excessively could trip the O2 sensor, resulting in a check engine light.

Posted: 09 January 2011 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-01

Just had a thought.. Once the MMO or any oil is sucked into the intake via won’t that oil residue stay on the line used to vaccum it in and inside the intake causeing stuff to stick to the inside?

Posted: 09 January 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2010-09-29

good point wink I’ll let the pros answer that question....

I would think though, with all the vacuum pressure, it would suck the walls dry....but yea, I see what you’re saying, not ot mention the potential “drying effects” of the solvent action along that rubber/plastic vacuum line.......but if you look at your bottle of MMO, no where on it does it state it’s meant to be used through the intake smile But there’s alwways the couple “dare devils” who will take it to the next level raspberry So certainly intake/vacuum use isn’t likely “recommended” (tested) by Marvel Mystery Oil themselves, but I don’t think using it through the intake every 5-10k will hurt anything.

I mean, even Seafoam states to only use every 3-5k......and that product contains “IPA” (isopropanol alcohol) - which I’d be concerned with actually “drying out” the vac lines.....and people use that product all over the net through the intake without a problem - well, at least not an “immediate” problem - sure I guess it could cause problems down the road, but as with any rubber/plastic vac lines, hoses, most manufacturers state to “replace when necessary” before you notice detremental effects (cracked, dry, bursting).

Like I said, I’ve seen people pour a little MMO down each cylinder (pull each spark plug out individually) then crank a couple times, then add some more, and let it sit for a pre-determined amount of time - to help with “gunked up” cylinders, etc.....

Personally, I think this would work a lot better than feeding it through the vac line, since the solution would be going directly to where you put it smile With the vac line method, each cylinder may only see a “little” bit of the solution as it’s dispersed across each cylinder.

Posted: 09 January 2011 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2008-12-13

If you want to suck MMO through the intake, use the PCV valve tube. This tube it subject to oil vapors constantly through normal engine running anyway. The MMO will help clean this tube from it’s normal crud build-up as well.

The amount of Isopropyl alcohol in Seafoam, and the frequency of use by drawing it through the intake is highly unlikely to cause enough “drying out” of the lines to be of any concern. Most of these lines are made of the same material as the lines and grommets in the fuel sending units that are in most fuel tanks. If ethanol fuel doesn’t cause problems with this material, Seafoam’s IPA content won’t either.

I worked for 16 years at the Ford plant that made all the fuel sending units for all Ford vehicles. We did get a batch of bad grommets that would swell when introduced to ethanol fuel once but those were made as a cost cutting effort in Mexico. We saved 2 cents per grommet but it cost us a recall on those sending units. Cutting costs doesn’t always save you money in the long run. LOL

Posted: 22 July 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2010-12-20

think i would rather do a piston soak instead. adding MMO to the fuel is also a good idea to clear up deposits. no ill effects i might add! i recently read a thread where a guy put 2 qts MMO to a tank of gas and ran it all out. after he pulled the head and there was nothing but shiny pistons and cylinder. i think the only thing you have to worry about would be o2 sensors at such a high concentration