1 of 2
Oil and check engine light
Posted: 23 December 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-12-22

Situation: I have a 2004 Cadillac at 79,000 miles when I changed the oil. Instead of 5/30 semi-synthetic, I used regular oil, and added MMO as it was needed. Also added it to the gas tank.  I went 17,000 miles before I decided to change the oil in preparation for a smog test. ( I noticed the tach was more efficient with RPM about 3-7% lower, and 3 times I got 40-41MPG at 54 MPH on cruise control from Palm Springs to Los Angeles on the 10 FWY). I used MMO and STP gas additives when the check engine light came on, and after 2 tankfuls, the light went out. Again, I did it twice with good results turning the light out.

After the oil change and replaced oil and air filters, I noticed the new oil was darker than I expected after 1,000 miles of driving. Kinda black, but I wrote that off as MMO really cleaning out the engine from the previous oil change.

As I was traveling to get my smog test, the check engine light came on and that stopped me from getting it smogged that day.

Next day, the car wouldn’t start and I had to jump start it. Cleared everything, but check engine lite is still on, even after the 3rd tankful. Most driving was easy freeway driving at high speed.

My question is: 1.) Could the blackened oil be part of the problem, and should I change oil again with semi-synthetic oil and 1 quart of MMO and MMO to the gas,

2.) could the ignition coil or solenoid be the problem with the light because of the jump,

or 3.) mass flow air sensor and connector have been the cause for the light to come and should be replaced.I thought maybe the MFAS and connector may have been damaged by the mechanic.

Marvel Mystery Oil is really great. I can’t get over the effect it has had on my Caddy, the power acceleration, smooth ride, MPG. It pays for itself.  I hope it pays for my smog test by avoiding the costly repairs I live in fear of. It relly works!

Thanks for your answer on my behalf.

Posted: 23 December 2010 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13

If you really did go 17,000 miles between oil changes on regular oil, “the costly repairs I live in fear of.” really makes sense.

Posted: 23 December 2010 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

The car runs perfectly. It’s the wasted money on trying to find out the multi possible problem of emissions that are not easily found. The oil was topped off with synthetic oil, and synthetic oil doesn’t break down as regular oil. It’s good for a 100,000+.  I’ve driven other auto with22,000 miles from an oil change and no problems...go figure

Posted: 23 December 2010 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
chuckbarry - 23 December 2010 04:05 AM

The car runs perfectly. It’s the wasted money on trying to find out the multi possible problem of emissions that are not easily found. The oil was topped off with synthetic oil, and synthetic oil doesn’t break down as regular oil. It’s good for a 100,000+.  I’ve driven other auto with22,000 miles from an oil change and no problems...go figure

Please show me 1 single manufacturer that says that their oil is good for 100K miles. You may have gotten away with it for now but you are just borrowing time. And yes, synthetic oil doesn’t break down as quickly or as easily as regular petroleum oil but it most certainly does break down.

Posted: 23 December 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15
chuckbarry - 23 December 2010 12:13 AM

My question is: 1.) Could the blackened oil be part of the problem, and should I change oil again with semi-synthetic oil and 1 quart of MMO and MMO to the gas,

2.) could the ignition coil or solenoid be the problem with the light because of the jump,

or 3.) mass flow air sensor and connector have been the cause for the light to come and should be replaced.I thought maybe the MFAS and connector may have been damaged by the mechanic.

The check engine light is coming on due to an emission system issue.  Oil getting dirty fast?  Maybe not from MMO cleaning the system.  Take the car into an auto retailer such as AutoZone and have them read and print out the trouble code.  My guess, and it is just a guess, is the EGR or PCV valve is stuck.  All the symptoms from hard starting, dirty oil, and light coming on at highway speeds makes me think the problem is here.  Hope this helps!

Posted: 23 December 2010 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22
Orangedotfever - 23 December 2010 04:14 AM

Please show me 1 single manufacturer that says that their oil is good for 100K miles. You may have gotten away with it for now but you are just borrowing time. And yes, synthetic oil doesn’t break down as quickly or as easily as regular petroleum oil but it most certainly does break down.

Mobil ONE.
Synthetic oils were advertised as good for a hundred thousand miles when they were first introduced 30 yeasr ago. Even you admit it doesn’t break down.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is guaranteed for 15,000, “… however, if the vehicle manufactureer recommnends an oil change change beyond 15,000 miles...you can be assured Mobile 1 will go the distance”.
So 17,000 is nothing extraordinary. We’re talking 14 vehicles for me. Each extended oil change for me saves $300+ for me per vehicle. These extended oil changes work for me, and, yes, if you, are wondering, I have NEVER had an engine problem or break down, or replacement, or rebuilt, or etc.
I asked for info from people and haven’t gottten any from you. I given you more than you know what to do with. You must be new here.
Hope this helps.

Posted: 23 December 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
chuckbarry - 23 December 2010 05:09 PM

Orangedotfever - 23 December 2010 04:14 AM

Mobil ONE.
Synthetic oils were advertised as good for a hundred thousand miles when they were first introduced 30 yeasr ago. Even you admit it doesn’t break down.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is guaranteed for 15,000, “… however, if the vehicle manufactureer recommnends an oil change change beyond 15,000 miles...you can be assured Mobile 1 will go the distance”.
So 17,000 is nothing extraordinary. We’re talking 14 vehicles for me. Each extended oil change for me saves $300+ for me per vehicle. These extended oil changes work for me, and, yes, if you, are wondering, I have NEVER had an engine problem or break down, or replacement, or rebuilt, or etc.
I asked for info from people and haven’t gottten any from you. I given you more than you know what to do with. You must be new here.
Hope this helps.

Mobil-1 says nowhere that it’s good for over 100K. It also only guarantees 15,000 miles under optimum driving conditions, not ALL diving conditions. What vehicle manufacturer recommends 100,000 mile oil change intervals? I did not admit that synthetic oils do not break down. I said that they do not break down “as quickly”. You really read too much into things and then twist them into what you want to believe.

As for your question. I agree with MMO. You have a sensor issue. EGR, canister vent valve, oxygen sensor, etc. Probably because you leave your oil in too long.

By the way, you just joined and I’ve been a member since 2008.

Posted: 23 December 2010 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2009-04-23

chuckbarry, do you get UOA’s performed? I’d be really interested in the results. I’m looking to extend the OCI’s on my Durango.

Signature 

2000 f-350 SD CC 7.3 Liter diesel, Lots of Mods.
1999 durango 5.2 Liter, all stock

Posted: 23 December 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

The advertisments were 30 years ago, as I said, and you did not read or understand.

I drove about 17000 miles with oil guaranteed for “15000 AND BEYOND”, The oil is not the problem. It’s the check engine light.

They guarantee 15,000 miles AND BEYOND, and the reason they don’t SPECIFICALLY promote 100,000 miles as they did three decades ago is because of legal issues if you go that many miles and blame some engine problem on the oil in a law suit, they have to defend themselves.  I have a warranty for 1 year on a microwave oven I bought 35 years ago. It’s still working even though I am still using all the same parts, but the manufacturer guaranteed 1 year, like Mobil 1. You show me where synthetic oil breaks down. You change synthetic oil or filter because of contaminates, not the oil breaking down.

I have 30 years of saving thousands of dollars on oil changes without engine problems, and you expect me to take the advice of a know-nothing and change good proven results. HA.

I drive under optimum conditions. The trips are 200 to 500 miles at one time. Not 1 mile for a loaf of bread up hill on a dirt road pulling a heavy trailer in 120 degree weather; you inferred otherwise because of some weakness in your reading comprehension or logical thought process. I don’t read too much into anything and twist them into what I want to believe. As of now, I don’t believe anything you state, and wish you would stop being a distraction to me and taking up my time.

As far as the sensor issue being caused by old oil, the sesnsor came on AFTER I had an oil change as I stated, and had driven 1,500 mile. READ it again...A F T E R .  Your thoughts are worthless when based on mis-perceived opinions. Try facts.

If the old oil was the problem, then additives to gas and oil would not have corrected the Check Light problems over the previous decades for me, would it?. It’s those MMO additives that work.

You’ve been here two years, and still have nothing to offer me. That’s worst than a newbie to me. You probably have done more damage than thought possible to others.

I’ll continue to save $300 between oil changes. As I have for the past 30 years. You go about and change your oil every 2,999 miles. It’ll keep you happy.

And you don’t have to bother to reply. It’ll make me happy.

Posted: 23 December 2010 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13

Sorry Chuck, I’m not here to make you happy but maybe I can help some kid who might read and believe what you are trying to dish out. Mobil-1 changed their mileage claims when they quit using pure group 4 based synthetic oils and went to group 3 hydrocracked oil to keep the price down. They do make some PAO oils now though but not in the Extended Performance line. Their original claims back in 1974 were 25,000 miles NOT 100,000. Synthetic oil still suffers from viscosity breakdown and molecular shear over time regardless of what you want to believe. The additive package also wears out. By the way, group 3 oils are not even allowed to be called synthetic oils anywhere else in the world. I don’t expect you to take any advice from anyone and really couldn’t care less what you do. It’s quite apparent that once your mind is made up, you can’t be confused with the facts. There are many things that people do and get away with but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing to do. I once had a friend that got away with accidentally putting transmission fluid in the crankcase instead of motor oil. He didn’t realize it until 1000 miles later. Just because it didn’t do any damage doesn’t mean it’s the smart thing to continue to do.

Oh, here’s a quote directly from the Mobil-1 website. “Guaranteed performance and protection for up to 15,000 miles.” That does not say “and beyond”.

It also says:
“What The Period Of Coverage Is,
This limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or one (1) year from the date of purchase or installation, whichever is earlier”

I have been using good synthetic oils for over 30 years myself but your crackpot ideas are just way out there. By the way, you have yet to answer my questions about what manufacturers suggest 100K OCI’s or Super Duty’s question about oil analysis. Please provide substantiated proof of your outrageous claims. You really need to quit making this stuff up and maybe go to your local Autozone and find out what your check engine light is really trying to tell you.

Posted: 24 December 2010 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-01-24
chuckbarry - 23 December 2010 12:13 AM

Situation: I have a 2004 Cadillac at 79,000 miles when I changed the oil. Instead of 5/30 semi-synthetic, I used regular oil, and added MMO as it was needed. Also added it to the gas tank.  I went 17,000 miles before I decided to change the oil in preparation for a smog test. ( I noticed the tach was more efficient with RPM about 3-7% lower, and 3 times I got 40-41MPG at 54 MPH on cruise control from Palm Springs to Los Angeles on the 10 FWY). I used MMO and STP gas additives when the check engine light came on, and after 2 tankfuls, the light went out. Again, I did it twice with good results turning the light out.

After the oil change and replaced oil and air filters, I noticed the new oil was darker than I expected after 1,000 miles of driving. Kinda black, but I wrote that off as MMO really cleaning out the engine from the previous oil change.

As I was traveling to get my smog test, the check engine light came on and that stopped me from getting it smogged that day.

Next day, the car wouldn’t start and I had to jump start it. Cleared everything, but check engine lite is still on, even after the 3rd tankful. Most driving was easy freeway driving at high speed.

Marvel Mystery Oil is really great. I can’t get over the effect it has had on my Caddy, the power acceleration, smooth ride, MPG. It pays for itself.  I hope it pays for my smog test by avoiding the costly repairs I live in fear of. It relly works!

Thanks for your answer on my behalf.

U got 41mpg in a Caddy,,,did I read that correctly or was ur data a typo?  If u r getting 41mpg in a caddy, thats a major increase in mileage i would say..............

Signature 

cool smileIf u cant be on time, be early. cool smile

Posted: 24 December 2010 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13

“U got 41mpg in a Caddy,,,did I read that correctly or was ur data a typo?  If u r getting 41mpg in a caddy, thats a major increase in mileage i would say.............. “

The best mileage listed for a 2004 Caddy is 25 MPG highway for the CTS 3.6L six cylinder. That’s just another of his tall tales that he can’t substantiate. This guy needs to just back up and stop with the BS.

Unless it’s his live dashboard reading while going downhill with a tailwind. LOL.

Posted: 24 December 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2009-04-23

^^^^^^^ LOL

Signature 

2000 f-350 SD CC 7.3 Liter diesel, Lots of Mods.
1999 durango 5.2 Liter, all stock

Posted: 24 December 2010 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-04-22
SuperDuty - 24 December 2010 10:40 AM

^^^^^^^ LOL

^^^^^

Wow Mobil 1 lasting for 100,000 miles, no way.  My dad said they advertised as 25,000 mile oil back in the day, not 100,000 mile oil.  I think adding MMO to the sump in that car is a good idea, after that OCI it is going to need some cleaning.

AD

Posted: 24 December 2010 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
ADFD1 - 24 December 2010 04:54 PM

SuperDuty - 24 December 2010 10:40 AM
^^^^^^^ LOL

^^^^^

Wow Mobil 1 lasting for 100,000 miles, no way.  My dad said they advertised as 25,000 mile oil back in the day, not 100,000 mile oil.  I think adding MMO to the sump in that car is a good idea, after that OCI it is going to need some cleaning.

AD

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1

I’m still waiting on the information on which OEM car makers recommend over 15,000 mile oil changes, which oils are quoted as good for 100,000 miles (since it’s not Mobil-1) and what the results are of the oil analysis that Super Duty asked about.

Posted: 25 December 2010 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-04-22

Seems like Dad was right, 1974 advertised as 25,000 mile oil.  I still wouldn’t do it.  Too much risk, not enough reward.  I’ll follow the MFG suggested OCI.

AD

1 of 2