03’ Dodge Ram 4.7L Sludge Problem
Posted: 01 September 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-09-01

I recently Purchased this 03 Ram With the 4.7L and it has a lot of sludge build-up.
I researched this and found this to be very common, even with regular oil changes.
I am worried that using Marvel in the oil will cause the contaminants to block the
oil returns or worse the intake screen at the oil pump. What do you recommend?

Posted: 02 September 2010 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2008-02-15

When you change the oil for the first time, replace 1 pint of your regular motor oil with Marvel Mystery Oil.  Then, at your next oil change, replace 1 quart of your regular motor oil with Marvel Mystery Oil.  Continue using 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil at every oil change.  Using Marvel Mystery Oil will dissolve the sludge and keep it in suspension until you change the oil.  It will not block the oil passages.  Also, use Marvel Mystery Oil in your gasoline.  Use 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil for every 10 gallons of gasoline.  Do this at every fill up.

Posted: 02 September 2010 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-01

Great, I will add it at the next oil change. How long be for I see a visual change?

Posted: 02 September 2010 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2008-12-13

I had the opposite happen. I switched my daughter’s Probe over to Amsoil and it knocked sludge loose that clogged an oil passage. She was at college 200 miles away. She took it to a local mechanic and he put MMO in the oil. She ran it for a day or two and the clog dissolved. I’ve been an MMO fan ever since.

Posted: 02 September 2010 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-01-24

grin +1 MMO

Signature 

cool smileIf u cant be on time, be early. cool smile

Posted: 02 September 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2008-01-15

Thanks for the support Orangedotfever.  That’s a great story and I love hearing when MMO saves the day!

Posted: 03 September 2010 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-08-02

Well then MMO you should love this… I posted a lengthy description of my experience about a month ago if you want to search for it, the update… I thought for sure I had a motor issue that was going to force me to tear it down to find the problem.  Problem was that it seemed that it was down on power (hard to tell with the cummins motor unless it’s sever), I decided to run MMO in the fuel (diesel) at 1 quart per tank (approx 37 gallons) for several tanks and monitor the problem.  After about the 3rd tank I noticed it started having more power and continued adding the quart for 2 more tanks.  Now after tank number 5 & now on 6 (or so) with 16 oz MMO & 16 oz 2 stroke oil, the motor runs & sounds pretty close to new.  Very happy with it.

As for the OP, I had a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 motor and it too had a sludge problem.  the problem however had something to do with the PVC setup IIRC and there was a TSB for it.  YOu might want to check with Dodge to see if there is a TSB for your truck on it.  Sludge always accumulated up by the oil fill cap on my Dak.

Posted: 08 September 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-01

surprised  Update, Changed oil & Filter. Used 10W40 & Mopar filter with 1 Quart MMO And ran her down the interstate at 70MPH for approx. 80 Mile round trip. I topped off the fuel and reset the trip computer. The Engine runs smoother and the average MPG shone on the trip computer went from 13.5 to 14.9 MPG. I am going to change the filter @ 500 Miles and the oil and Filter @ 1500Miles.