MMO to release stuck oil rings
Posted: 12 October 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-10-12

Hi, I’m from Australia and have a mazda 323 1.8L twin cam (protégé or miata in US).  I had an overheating issue and head gasket blew up. It was sitting at the garage for 3 weeks before got fixed (refaced head and new head gasket).  Now two of the cylinder oil rings are stuck and burn lot of oil during start up (lot of white smoke). The car has done only 125,000kms (78,000 miles) and never had any smoke or oil high consumption before the repair. I did a compression test and all cylinders are good. Once the engine warmed up no smoke at all.

Can MMO release stuck oil rings ??? We don’t have MMO in Australia and I’ve read good things about it on the net. I have to buy it online and want to make sure if it will work before buying . So any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 12 October 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-12-13

No one can guarantee that MMO will unstick your rings but it excels at this type of thing. If you can get it, pour a tablespoon or two into each cylinder and let it sit for a day or two. Also, replace 20% of the crankcase oil with MMO to help free the rings from the bottom side. Good luck and keep us informed.

Posted: 23 October 2009 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-10-23

White smoke is more associated with burning coolant. I would add it to each cylinder like suggested and let it sit for a day or to and see what happens.

Posted: 25 October 2009 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12
cougargnw - 23 October 2009 07:48 AM

White smoke is more associated with burning coolant. I would add it to each cylinder like suggested and let it sit for a day or to and see what happens.

Its actually blueish smoke, its not coolant and definately oil. I’ll try the methotd through the plug holes. I’ve already ordered 1liter can through midway auto and still waiting for it to arrive.......if it ever gets here!!

Posted: 22 November 2009 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12

ok finally after 5 weeks since placing the order I received my 1 qt bottle of MMO in Sydney. Now my plan is to put little bit through the plug holes with all pistons at same level in the cylinders. let it soak for about 3 days , then crank the engine by hand to move the pistons and agitate the rings , put bit more MMO and soak it for another 2-3 days and then crank the engine to clear any MMO left in cylinders, then install plugs and start the engine, run it at high idle to burn any crap out.

Is this a good plan ???

Also how much MMO should be added to 55L (14 gallons) tank to clean injectors and upper engine ??

Posted: 23 November 2009 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-04-22
asanga - 22 November 2009 11:37 PM

ok finally after 5 weeks since placing the order I received my 1 qt bottle of MMO in Sydney. Now my plan is to put little bit through the plug holes with all pistons at same level in the cylinders. let it soak for about 3 days , then crank the engine by hand to move the pistons and agitate the rings , put bit more MMO and soak it for another 2-3 days and then crank the engine to clear any MMO left in cylinders, then install plugs and start the engine, run it at high idle to burn any crap out.

Is this a good plan ???

Also how much MMO should be added to 55L (14 gallons) tank to clean injectors and upper engine ??

Sounds like you have a good plan.  Put the MMO into an oil can, the kind you can squirt, and fill the cylinders with the plugs out.  Let it soak, turn it over by hand and fill them up again, do this a few times, over a few days.  Now before you put the plugs back in crank the engine with the starter, to clear any oil out of the cylinders.  I drape rags near the holes, just make sure the rags won’t get caught in anything.  The action of the starter is much stronger than turning the engine by hand and does a better job of getting the excess MMO out.  It can be a little messy though.  Put the plugs in start the engine and take the car for a ride, let it warm up real good and get on it a little.  When you get back change the oil and filter and use 1 qt of MMO in place of 1 qt of oil.  Run the full OCI.  good luck and report back!

I would put about 5-6 ounces of MMO in the gas.  The suggested rate is 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas.

HTH

AD

Posted: 24 November 2009 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12
ADFD1 - 23 November 2009 10:35 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan.  Put the MMO into an oil can, the kind you can squirt, and fill the cylinders with the plugs out.  Let it soak, turn it over by hand and fill them up again, do this a few times, over a few days.  Now before you put the plugs back in crank the engine with the starter, to clear any oil out of the cylinders.  I drape rags near the holes, just make sure the rags won’t get caught in anything.  The action of the starter is much stronger than turning the engine by hand and does a better job of getting the excess MMO out.  It can be a little messy though.  Put the plugs in start the engine and take the car for a ride, let it warm up real good and get on it a little.  When you get back change the oil and filter and use 1 qt of MMO in place of 1 qt of oil.  Run the full OCI.  good luck and report back!

I would put about 5-6 ounces of MMO in the gas.  The suggested rate is 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas.

HTH

AD

Ok...Thanks for your advice. I’ll report back with the progress. Can I add MMO to the plug holes when the engine is hot or should I add it when its cold ??

Posted: 24 November 2009 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-22

I would add it to a cool engine, while heat is helpful too much is no good.  The trick is to get the MMO to really soak and work its magic.  Time is also your friend here.  A lot of people want fast results, and end up setting themselves up for disappointment.  If you have the time use it.  I’ve seen mowers, line trimmers and chain saws seized solid.  My father got many of them working doing this same trick.  He freed up a boat engine that was siezed up from sitting for a few years docked [salt water] and not started using this method.  It was a 292 Chevy I-6, and the owner thought it would never run again.  My dad got it running it lasted the whole season and was then rebulit.

Good luck!

AD

Posted: 07 December 2009 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12

I’ve been soaking the cylinders with MMO since friday night and topping up(1 table spoon) every morning as almost all MMO slowly disappear over 24hrs. Every morning before adding MMO I turn the crank by hand few revolutions to agitate the rings and carbon build up. As I have plenty of time I’d continue this treatment for few more days before cranking the engine with starter and starting the car. I can see lot of carbon slowly dissolving on top surface of pistons.  Hopefully this treatment will free up the sticky oil rings.

Posted: 07 December 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-22

My father always says time is your friend when dealing with these situations.  MMO won’t hurt anything so let time be your friend.

AD

Posted: 11 December 2009 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-09-29

This will work if the rings are stuck with deposits or sludge. However, if the rings are damaged the MMO will probably not work.

Posted: 11 December 2009 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-22

Nothing you can pour into oil can fix broken or damaged parts.  If the rings are stuck the MMO is the ticket.  I hope the OP posts back with an update!

AD

Posted: 15 December 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12

ok, after 6 days of soaking pistons/cylinders with MMO , I put the plugs back and started the car. Initially lot of smoke as expected due to burning of residue MMO. After about 10 mins smoke disappeared.  I’ve been running the car close to a week now and definitely I can see a difference during cold start (hardly any smoke and car doesn’t hesitate ) but the oil consumption is still high and I think I have damaged rings #4 cylinder because #4 spark plug had lot of black slug like deposit on it (I’ve cleaned it 2 times since MMO treatment) probably from burning oil. Higher blowby is also due to this piston I think.  looks like I’ll have to rebuild the engine but MMO did a good job of cleaning the pistons and i could clearly see through plug holes how well it cleaned the top surface of pistons

Posted: 27 February 2010 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-26

I would add to oil and to fuel; but also re-torque the head bolts; add injector cleaner to a tank of gas;
in the 1960’s, my gf taught me to use MMO when he had a 52 Buick straight-6 that was locked up tight because it had not run in 2-3 years;
he had me pull plugs and squirt MMO in each cylinder, and soak overnight;
NEXT DAY, fresh battery and fired right up, so quiet you had to see the fan moving to realize it was running;
smoke cleared after a few minutes;
I TRULY MARVELED AT THE RESULTS AT THAT TIME

Later in 70s, had a Malibu that developed a lifter click every time I changed oil;
4-8 oz. MMO added to oil would silence click within 30-seconds

recently tore down a 2-1/2 year old chainsaw (with 2-days use) with piston ring stuck hard (90-psi compression) due to carbon so thin it would rival a magic-marker ink;
Had to break ring to remove, cleaned groove, installed new ring, and compression came back up

Posted: 22 July 2011 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2010-12-19

seems like MMO is pretty good at bringin them back to life

Posted: 29 March 2013 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-05

An engine that has been badly overheated may have piston rings that have lost their tension/springiness. I have seen this happen twice in my experience as a mechanic. No additive will fix that. New rings may be needed. Pistons too, if they don’t measure within specs.

‹‹ siezed engine      Mazda Rx Rotary engine ››