Upper cylinder lubrication
Posted: 23 August 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-11-17

I’ve heard that Marvel Mystery oil helps reduce engine upper cyliner wear.  Please explain exactly what do you mean by upper cylinder wear.  Thanks.

Cal

Posted: 26 August 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2008-02-15

When you shut off your engine, the oil on the cylinder walls drains back into the crankcase.  Also, any residual gasoline in the combustion chamber either evaporates, leaving carbon deposits.  This results in what is called dry starts and accounts for most of the engine wear.  Using Marvel Mystery Oil leaves a thin layer of oil in the combustion chamber and cylinder walls which reduces or eliminates dry starts.  Also, the thin layer of MMO in the combustion chamber prevents the formation of hard, baked on carbon deposits.

Posted: 26 August 2009 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2009-08-06

I have also noticed that in my 2001 buick regal ls (3.8l) ever since I replaced 1qt of oil with MMO, the car now runs quieter, and it seems to crank up much quicker. Which basically proves what Rich Kelly was saying about MMO leaving a thin layer of oil on the cylinder wall.s

Posted: 30 July 2015 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-11-17

To bring back an old question about upper cylinder wear you responded that using MMO reduces this wear.  Should I put it in the gas or in the oil?  Thanks.

Cal

‹‹ help seized up      MMO chemistry question ››