Lucas UCL Vs. MMO
Posted: 11 March 2009 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-03-11

Does anyone know what the difference is between Lucas Fuel treatment and MMO? Of course I’m not going to put the Lucas in my oil and that’s an obvious; but how do they compare as fuel treatments?

Thanks!

Posted: 11 March 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2008-02-15

The last time we looked at Lucas Fuel Treatment we found it to contain only oil with no other additives in the package.  While Marvel Mystery Oil is also an oil, it also contains cleaning solvents, seal swelling and softening agents and friction modifiers and other additives.

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-10-12

There are a lot of discussions out there about this.

One thing I spotted was that MMO is a solvent and Lucas is a lubricant.  I don’t know how true this is.  Also read where MMO does not “burn” completely.  Also, do not know how true.

I am interested in using an additive to maintain a healthy Ford 226 (c.i.d.) Rouge “Flathead” in my 1949 Ford F-1 pick-up.  Mainly looking for the upper cylinder lube and lead substitute.

I also will use an additive in my 1996 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 L in-line 6.  This is a daily driver with 150,000 miles.

I have always been a Lucas fan, but I’m taking a hard look at MMO.  I need the “push.”

Posted: 12 October 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2009-04-23

If an addittive states it keeps things clean, it will always have some type of solvent in it, most of them do. If it states that its for lubrication, its just a type of oil but, it won’t help keep things clean. Personally, I picked out a couple of brand names and looked up the MSDS on them. I would suggest you do that. I use MMO for both of my vehicles, in oil and fuel. My vehicles run better now, then they ever did.

Signature 

2000 f-350 SD CC 7.3 Liter diesel, Lots of Mods.
1999 durango 5.2 Liter, all stock

Posted: 12 October 2009 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12

I’m trying to get the benefits of a lead substitute for the ‘49, and a system cleaner for the ‘96.

Looking for that, “dual-purpose” additive.

MSDS is a great read, but I’m not a chemist and don’t have that much free time.

For some reason, and I’m not sure why… that MSDS causes me to trail off and ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted: 12 October 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15

Remember that Marvel Mystery Oil was originally developed as an upper cyclinder lubricant that also remove the carbon deposits from the Marvel carburetor.  Today’s formulation is essentially the same as when it was developed in 1923.  It is unique in that it works as well in today’s modern fuel injected engines as it does in carburetored engines.

We have talked to one Early Ford V-8 Club in the Northern Illinois Regional Group whose members use MMO in their cars.  This club members mostly have flathead Ford V-8’s and all are avid fans of Marvel Mystery Oil.

For a lead substitute, we recommend using our sister company’s product, CD-2 Concentrated Lead Substitute, Stock No. 4295.  This product is designed to provide a sacrificial coating to prevent metal-to-metal contact between non case hardened parts.  One ounce of this product treats 10 gallons of gasoline.  It can be found at Wal-Mart.

Posted: 13 October 2009 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-12

So, in the older engine requiring the lead substitute, run both?  CD-2 and MMO?

Posted: 13 October 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15

That would be our recommendation.

‹‹ Proper use of MMO      motorcycle wet clutch ››