MMO as a rifle bore cleaner? 
Posted: 14 January 2009 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-14

I have used MMO in fuel, oil, air tools, etc.
I am wondering how it would compare to Kroil as a bore cleaner for hunting rifles.  I think I may try it, but thought I’d ask first.
Thanks MMO for an interesting forum.

Posted: 14 January 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2008-02-15

Many of our customers have told us that they use Marvel Mystery Oil as a gun lubricant.  You should not have any problems is you use Marvel Mystery Oil as a bore cleaner.

Posted: 14 January 2009 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2008-12-13

You really need a good copper solvent for a bore cleaner in a hunting rifle. I don’t know how MMO is in this respect. I doubt that it will attack copper. It should be good at cutting carbon deposits but that is more of a problem with semi-autos like the AR and AK series rifles. I’ll try some though because I have plenty of MMO and some new AR-15 builds that I need to ring out. Let us know what your experience is and I’ll update my findings when the weather breaks.

Posted: 26 January 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-26

Hey From Alaska, I have used Marvel Mystery oil on all my firearms here in Alaska, You will need to use a copper solvent 1st but MMO on everything else, I have stopped using all other lubricants due to gelling in extreme cold conditions. MMO has worked great on my semi autos and all of my lever action firearms. A great product all around. Happy Days to you all from the Last Frontier

Posted: 13 February 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-09-25

so when cleaning a gun like a 45 handgun u can use mmo to clean it but u have to use a copper base solvent first before using mmo on the firearm?

Posted: 13 February 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
insnekamkze86 - 13 February 2009 12:41 PM

so when cleaning a gun like a 45 handgun u can use mmo to clean it but u have to use a copper base solvent first before using mmo on the firearm?

The copper solvent is only to cut the copper jacket material out of the bore if you are shooting jacketed bullets. You will only have copper in the bore.

Posted: 13 February 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-09-25

k im shooting full metal jackets out of my 45 so would i have cooper in the bore? I know some about guns just not about jacket styles that bullets are made out of.

Posted: 14 February 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
insnekamkze86 - 13 February 2009 10:53 PM

k im shooting full metal jackets out of my 45 so would i have cooper in the bore? I know some about guns just not about jacket styles that bullets are made out of.

Yes, you will have copper fouling from FMJ bullets. Run a bore cleaner with copper solvent through the bore first and then MMO after that to lubricate. Follow the directions on the bottle of the bore cleaner.

Posted: 28 March 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-27

I’ve used mmo as handgun cleaner.  I was told by several cops just to be careful using mmo in firearms that remain loaded, as mmo may penetrate the casings and into the powder, possibly causing misfires.  Anyone know if this is true or a myth?  Thanks. longchiro

Posted: 29 March 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-13
longchiro - 28 March 2009 08:58 PM

I’ve used mmo as handgun cleaner.  I was told by several cops just to be careful using mmo in firearms that remain loaded, as mmo may penetrate the casings and into the powder, possibly causing misfires.  Anyone know if this is true or a myth?  Thanks. longchiro

You will have this problem with any oil that has penetrating qualities. It’s not the powder that is damaged, it’s the primer that will become inert. This is why military ammo has a sealant around the bullet and primer. Keep oils and solvents away from your ammunition.

Posted: 24 February 2011 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-19

Which MMO should I use to clean my Polymer handle gun? The same stuff that goes into my gas tank and engine block in the Red bottle or the lubricating oil in the little Black bottle?